Ventura Landmark Homes

Ventura Landmark Property, as of January 2011


CITY OF SAN BUENAVENTURA

HISTORIC LANDMARKS Properties and DISTRICTS

January 1, 2011

NO. HISTORIC NAME ADDRESS

1. Olivas Adobe 4200 Olivas Park Drive

Designated February 11, 1974 SL/NRHP/CA VEN 815HI

This two-story Monterey style adobe was the center of San Miguel Rancho. Built in 1847 by Don Raymundo Olivas, a prominent cattle and sheep rancher, it was owned by the family until 1899. Restored in the late 1920’s by millionaire Max Fleischmann, of Fleischmann Yeast and Margarine fame, for use as a hunting lodge, the historic house was given to the City of San Buenaventura in 1961. Now a historic museum, it is dedicated to Ventura's rancho heritage.

2. Ortega Adobe 215 W. Main Street

Designated February 11, 1974 CA VEN 785H

Emigdio Miguel Ortega, grandson of Josef Francisco de Ortega, discoverer of San Francisco Bay in 1734, and comandante of Santa Barbara in 1782, was born at Mission San Diego. Emigdio was appointed Sergeant of the Santa Barbara Company in 1811¬1818 and comisionado at Los Angeles in 1918. He married Concepcion Dominguez at Mission Santa Barbara. Through the land grant of 1830 1850 for Rancho Ex Mission San Buenaventura from Govenor Pio Pico, he bought the 200 x 200 foot lot and built the adobe in 1855 57. The west half of the adobe was washed away by the floods of 1862 and rebuilt using the original roof tiles from the Mission San Buenaventura. In 1897, Emilio C. Ortega, son of Emigdio and Conception, began and operated from the adobe, the now famous Ortega Chili Factory.

3. Father Serra Statue 501 Poli Street

Designated February 11, 1974

This bronze statue was designed by John Palo Kanges and represents an idealized image of Father Junipero Serra, the founder of Mission San Buenaventura. Located in front of Ventura's City Hall on California Street, the original cement statue, a WPA project, was unveiled in November 1936. Due to weathering, the original statue was placed in storage in 1989 and replaced by the present bronze one. The wooden statue used to mold the bronze statue is located in the atrium of the City Hall.

4. City Hall 501 Poli Street

Designated February 11, 1974 SL/NRHP

Constructed in 1912, it served as the Ventura County Courthouse until 1962. Designed by famed Los Angeles architect, Albert C. Martin Sr. in the "Beau Arts" or Neo Classic style, the building features the faces of 24 monks on the facade and stained glass skylights and domes in the interior. Restored and converted into Ventura's City Hall in 1972, it stands as one of the state's premier civic buildings. The west wing, formerly the County Sheriffs Office and Jail, was restored and added to the City Hall designation in 1988.

5. Grant Park Cross Site Ferro Drive

Designated February 11, 1974 SL (Site)

The wooden cross, made of pine from Santa Paula Canyon, was placed on this site in the 1940’s to replace a cross that was erected by ladies of the ECO Club, a service club, on Admission Day, September 9, 1912, commemorated the original cross erected by Father Junipero Serra when he founded Mission San Buenaventura in 1782.

6. Mission Plaza Archeological Site 100 Block E. Main Street

Designated February 11, 1974 Mission Plaza Park

North side of Main Street

Including the Albinger

Museum, Filtration Building

NRHP/District SL/CA VEN 4 87

The Mission Plaza Archaeological Project studied the area west of Mission San Buenaventura Church and along Valdez Alley from 1973 to 1975. A number of important features covering 3,500 years of history were uncovered at the site. These features include five mission building foundations, ceramic pipelines, an adobe brick factory, a well, an earth oven, and a water filtration building. Nicknamed El Caballo (the Horse) because of a carved wall feature in the shape of an animal head, the filtration building, built sometime after 1782 by Chumash labor under the direction of Father Pedro Cambon, is the oldest standing structure in Ventura County. In the late 1860’s, the building was used as a jail. The Mission Plaza Archaeological site includes VEN 4, which was recorded in 1951 in the UCLA Archaeological Survey Archives. The local historic landmark designation covers an area of approximately one and one half acres.

7. Conklin Residence 608 E. Thompson Boulevard

Designated May 6, 1974 Mitchell Block

Located at 608 E. Thompson Boulevard, the home was originally built in 1877 by Dr. Solomon Leander Stuart, a dentist, whose office was located on California Street between Main and Santa Clara Streets. He is thought to have been a descendent of the artist Gilbert Stuart. The home was then deeded in 1887 to E. L. Mitchel, proprietor of a brick business and builder of two of the homes within the Mitchell Block. Marguerite Conklin, granddaughter of Marada Waton and owner of the property in 1918, lived her entire life within this restored Cape Cod style home amidst her family heirlooms. It is folklore that her mantle clock, silent on the day of her passing in 1977, would never be operable again. The exterior was changed to it’s present Cape Cod appearance in 1927.

8. Mission Norfolk Pines 211 E. Main Street

Designated July 1, 1974 Mission District

Two of the tallest trees in the City, these large Norfolk Island Pines (araucaria excilas) are located adjacent to the San Buenaventura Mission. The trees were planted in the 1880’s, and local legend suggests that they were brought here from Norfolk Island by a sea captain to be used as replacement masts for his ship. The captain, perhaps lost at sea, never returned to claim his trees. Traditionally, the trees are lit with colored lights during the holiday season and can be seen for miles along Highway 101.

In November 2000, the America The Beautiful Fund designated the pines as California’s Millennium Landmark Trees. The non-profit group has given the designation to at least one tree in each of the 50 states that “has seen the nation progress from a largely rural, farming community to an industrial powerhouse.” The Mission Norfolk Pines were the first trees to be given the designation in California.

9. Mound Pepper Tree 5430 Telegraph Road

Designated July 1, 1974 No longer exists

The Mound Pepper Tree was located 25 feet west of the east property line of the Mound Guest Home. It was cited as the oldest and largest tree of its species in the City. It was 100 years old, 43 feet tall, 23.5 feet in circumference at it’s narrowest point two feet above ground and had a 100-foot branch spread.

10. San Buenaventura Mission 211 E. Main Street

Designated July 1, 1974 NRHP District

Father Junipero Serra founded Mission San Buenaventura on Easter Sunday, March 31, 1782. It was the ninth and last mission founded by Father Serra. Construction on the first adobe mission church began in 1787, but problems forced its demolition in 1790. The present stone and adobe church was built just to the east of the original structure and was completed in 1809. The Mexican Government secularized the missions in 1834, and in 1846, Mission San Buenaventura was sold to Jose Arnaz and became known as Rancho Ex Mission. In 1862, President Abraham Lincoln returned the Mission San Buenaventura Church to the Catholic Church, which owns it to this day.

11. Plaza Park Moreton Bay Fig Tree Chestnut and Santa Clara

Designated July 1, 1974 Streets

The Moreton Bay Fig Tree, which was planted in Plaza Park in 1874, is thought to be the largest tree of its species, being 68 feet high with a branch spread of 130 feet, in the City. It is a Ficus Macrophylla, which is a native of Queensland Australia. The tree is located at the northwest corner of Plaza Park at Chestnut and Santa Clara Streets.

12. Mission Plaza Moreton Bay Fig Tree 100 Block E. Main Street

Designated July 1, 1974 Mission District/NHRP

The Mission Plaza Moreton Bay Fig Tree (fiscus macrophylla) dominates the east side of Mission Plaza Park along Figueroa Plaza. Its branches have a spread of over 100 feet and its circumference is 18 feet. The tree is almost 120 years old. This area is part of the Mission National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) District.

13. Baker Residence 2107 Poli Street

Designated September 23, 1975

Located at 2107 Poli Street, the home was built in 1888 by architect Franklin Pierce and it is a well-preserved model of Victorian architecture.

14. Judge Ewing Residence 605 Poli Street

Designated September 23, 1975

This house was built in 1894 for Judge Felix Ewing, then the only judge in Ventura County. It was built in the popular Queen Anne style. The large wrap around porch was elaborate for its time. The library has special carved paneling and tiled floors. The stone used in the walls was quarried in Foster Park north of Ventura. The building is now used as law offices.

15. Theodore Groene Building 592 E. Main Street

Bahn's Jewelry Store

Designated October 27, 1975

This building was originally constructed in the late 1920's as a bank for the Ventura Guarantee and Loan. Although it served as a home for many different businesses, it is primarily known as being occupied by the Bahn's Jewelry Store. Purchased by Theodore Groene in 1961, it was then restored by the contractor, Clyde Campbell. The building features a beautiful interior, including three large murals by Norman Kennedy. The exterior is noteworthy because of the lovely brickwork and the unusual ceramic tiles. The original white paint was removed from the building in 1982.

16. San Miguel Chapel Site SW corner Thompson

Designated October 27, 1975 Boulevard and Palm

NRHP

The San Miguel Chapel, originally constructed of adobe brick about 1790, served as a place of worship while the Mission San Buenaventura was being built. The Chapel was the first permanent structure in Ventura built by non Aboriginal man. A second chapel, half the size of the first, was built on the site after the original chapel was destroyed by the earthquake of 1812. Subsequently, the chapel suffered extensive damage from natural causes, and, in 1873, the walls were torn down. The site was excavated by students from Moorpark College, starting in 1974. Excavated features include the uncovered aqueduct, which served the Mission, a rock foundation, a bell tower, and a section of painted wall.

17. Robert Stacy Judd Church 101 Laurel Street

Church of Religious Science

Designated December 1, 1975

This unusual building was designed for Ventura's First Baptist Church by Hollywood architect Robert Stacy Judd. Finished in 1931, the church stands as a monument to the Mayan Revival style. Due to funds provided by local sculptor, Jason Herron, the building was restored in the mid 1980’s.

18. Shisholop Village Site South end Figueroa Street

Cabrillo's Landing CA VEN 3

Designated December 22, 1975

LLocated directly on the ventura classic homes at the foot of Figueroa Street is the site of the Chumash Indian Village called Shisholop by the missionaries who settled Ventura. Believed to have been a Chumash provincial capital, Shisholop was first settled shortly after A.D. 1000 and reached it’s zenith about the time it was visited in 1542 by Portuguese navigator Juan Rodriguez Cabrillo, while on an exploratory expedition for Spain. The location of Shisholop Village and the Cabrillo Landing was designated as a historical point of interest.

19. Elizabeth Bard Memorial Hospital 121 N. Fir Street

Designated March 8, 1976

Opened on January 1, 1902, by brothers Senator Thomas R. Bard and Dr. Cephas Little Bard as a memorial to their mother, the Elizabeth Bard Memorial Hospital is Ventura's only remaining Mission Revival building. Located on a hillside just two blocks east of City Hall, the structure, with its arched loggia, scalloped parapeted gables and domed bell tower, stands out as one of the finest works of well-known local builder Selwyn Lock Shaw. Cephas Bard, who came to Ventura in 1868, is said to have been the County's first American doctor. He was also the first patient to die in the Bard Hospital in 1902. The building has been rehabilitated for use as offices.

20. Ventura Wharf (Pier) Harbor Boulevard east of

Designated March 29, 1976 California Street

The Ventura Wharf was partially destroyed in 1926 and was rebuilt as it appears today. Located off of Harbor Boulevard between California Street and Fir Street, the pier was built to encourage growth in Ventura and to provide an outlet for farmers and their crops. The pier was considered a public utility and "absolutely indispensable" to the City's economy. The wooden structure includes a restaurant and a bait and tackle shop. The pier is a point of interest for today's tourists, as it was a promenade for residents in early days. It is said to be one of the longest piers on the California Coast.

21. Franz Residence 31 N. Oak Street

Designated March 29, 1976

The Emanuel Franz House, built in 1879, is the only remaining unaltered example of Urban Italianate architecture from the 1870’s to be found in the City. The house was built for Emanuel Franz, an Austrian immigrant who operated one of the first mercantile businesses on Main Street, just a half block from his home. Franz and his new bride moved into the house in 1880. All of their six children were born in the house. The Franz family owned the house continuously until 1975. Located at 31 N. Oak Street, it has an interesting front stoop and widow's watch. Designated on March 29, 1976 and placed on the National Register June 25, 1982.

22. Magnolia Tree 739 E. Santa Clara Street

Designated March 29, 1976

Planted at 739 E. Santa Clara Street by Charles G. Bartlett circa 1907, it was the oldest of its species in the City. The tree was removed by the property owners in 2002.

23. Great Pacific Iron Works 235 W. Santa Clara Street

Designated October 4, 1976

This structure originally housed the Hobson Brother's Meat Packing Business, which was established in the 1870's. Currently owned and operated by Lost Arrow/Patagonia.

24. Ventura Theater 26 S. Chestnut Street

Designated October 4, 1976

Built in 1928, it was the City's only luxurious movie theater during the movie palace era.

25. First Post Office Bldg. 377 E. Main Street

Designated October 4, 1976

This building housed Ventura's first Post Office. Built in 1902, it was used until 1919 for that purpose.

26. Hitching Post 88 N. Ann Street

Designated October 4, 1976

This is one of the last remaining hitching posts in place in the City.

27. Apostolic Church 902 E. Main Street

Designated December 20, 1976

This structure originally served as the Alice Bartlett Club. The building has both architectural and historical significance. It was moved to its present location in 1922.

28. Southern Methodist Episcopal Church 896 E. Main Street

Designated July 11, 1977

The church was built in 1890 and is the last of the original seven churches built in the City during that time. It is in the Gothic style with a high steeple and beautiful stained glass windows. For several years it was the Victorian Rose Wedding Chapel, and currently houses the Victorian Rose Bed and Breakfast Inn.

29. Post Office Murals 675 E. Santa Clara Street

Designated October 24, 1977

Located in the Post Office at 675 E. Santa Clara Street, the murals were painted by Gordon Grant in 1936 37. The project was sponsored by the Federal Arts project of the WPA.

30. Livery/County Garage 34 N. Palm Street

Designated November 21, 1977

Located on Palm Street, the site has been in use since 1875 as a livery stable, then stable and garage, until the County purchased it in 1921. It is now the site of the Livery Theater, offices, and retail uses.

31. Packard Garage 42 N. Chestnut Street

Designated November 21, 1977

The building was originally constructed in 1925 to be used as a garage and showroom. The County purchased the building in 1956 for use as a warehouse. It recently housed the Concept Seven Thrift Store and is currently vacant.

32. Peirano Store 204 E. Main Street

Designated January 16, 1978 Mission District

Completed in November 1877, this structure is the oldest remaining commercial brick building in the City. Located at the southeast corner of Main Street and Figueroa Plaza, the store was owned by the Peirano family from 1890 until Nick Peirano, nephew of the original owner, retired in 1986. The building was in constant use as a grocery store from the time it was built until 1986. The building was renovated to accommodate a restaurant in 1998.

33. Peirano Residence (Parrish Law Offices) 107 S. Figueroa Street

Designated January 16, 1978 Mission District

Built in 1897 by the Peirano family, this house was in constant use by the family until 1976. The house is a one-and-a-half story wood frame structure with a gabled roof. It was restored by Donald Parrish and is currently used as a law office.

34. Theodosia Burr Shepherd Gardens SE corner of Poli and Chestnut

Designated July 17,1978 Streets Point of Interest

The original gardens of one of California's most famous horticulturists were located between Main and Poli, Chestnut and Fir Streets. All that remains is a Star Pine and a Bird of Paradise.

35. Feraud Store & Bakery (1903 Building) 2 W. Main Street

Designated July 17, 1978 NRHP

Located at the southwest corner of Main Street and Ventura Avenue, the Feraud Bakery and Grocery Store was opened by Jules Feraud in 1903. The bakery stayed in the family until 1944.

36. First National Bank of Ventura 1904 401 E. Main Street

Designated August 13, 1978 Point of Interest

This building was opened in June 1904 as the First National Bank. The building has been much altered over the years for various commercial uses.

37. First National Bank of Ventura 1926 494 E. Main Street

Designated October 16, 1978

Located at the cornerstone of the downtown area at Main and California Streets, this building was used as a bank for many years. First as the First National Bank of Ventura, then Bank of America, Security First National, Channel Island State Bank and Wells Fargo before becoming the American Commercial Bank. It currently houses a retail furniture store on the ground floor, with offices on the upper floors.

38. Bank of Italy 394 E. Main Street

Designated December 4, 1978

The building was constructed in 1923 24 after being promoted by John Lagomarsino, Sr. The architectural style is Italian Renaissance Revival, which was widely used for commercial structures at that time.

39. Dr. T. E. Cunnane Residence 128 S. California Street

Designated December 18, 1978

This structure was the home and office of Dr. Thomas E. Cunnane, the City's physician after the death of Dr. Bard in 1902. The structure is one of the few remaining examples of Queen Anne cottage style architecture. Now used as business offices.

40. A. C. Martin Building (Bella Maggiore Inn) 69 S. California Street

Designated April 9, 1979

The building was constructed in 1926 by architect A. C. Martin of Los Angeles (who also designed City Hall). The style of the facade is taken from Spanish Renaissance sources. The building was restored by Tom Wood and currently in use as the Bella Maggiore Inn. At one time it was known as El Nido Hotel.

41. Robert Sudden Residence 825 Front Street

Designated April 9, 1979

Captain Robert Sudden built the house in 1886. It was originally located at Fir and Meta and moved to its present location in 1916.

42. Robert M. Sheridan Residence 1029 Poli Street

Designated May 21, 1979

This Craftsman Bungalow house deviates from the traditional box like shaped bungalow. Historically the house is important for being built by Robert M. Sheridan, son of early pioneer E. M. Sheridan, who was editor of the Ventura SIGNAL. Robert and his wife, Ellen, who was a well-known editor, writer and designer, used the house.

43. Chaffee & McKeeby, Einstein & Bernheim SE corner Main and Palm

General Store Streets (building demolished)

Designated May 21, 1979 Point of Interest

This building was located at the southeast corner of Main and Palm Streets and was demolished because of structural problems in December 1979. The building was completed in 1872 and originally housed two general merchandise stores. The owners were associated with the early development of the City; the Einstein and Bernheim store eventually became the Great Eastern Department Store. It is now the site of the Mid-State Bank.

44. Dudley House SW corner Loma Vista and

Designated January 21, 1980 Ashwood Avenue (NRHP)

The Dudley House, built in 1892, was originally located at the northwest corner of Telegraph Road and Ashwood Avenue and was moved in 1977 to the southwest corner of Ashwood and Loma Vista Road, where it is being developed as part of a historical park. The farmhouse was part of a 50 acre ranch owned and occupied by the Dudley family for five generations. The house was built by Selwyn Shaw, well know local builder and craftsman. The San Buenaventura Heritage Foundation is currently restoring the house.

45. Righetti House 125 W. Park Row Avenue

Designated January 21, 1980

This late Queen Anne period house with elements of Classical Revival was constructed in 1918 for Daniel J. Righetti, who owned a shop on Main Street offering billiards, cigars, tobacco and confections. The Righettis were a pioneer Italian family in Ventura and lived in the house until 1922. In 1923 Dr. Julius Bianchi, a prominent local physician who served as a U.S. envoy to Guatemala from 1920 to 1922, purchased the home and had his practice there for three years. He became president of the Ventura County Medical Society in 1926. On January 24, 1947, Mr. Sidney Houghton had the house moved from its original Main Street location along Valdez Alley near the Mission to its current location on Park Row Avenue. Architecturally, the house is important as one of the relatively few unaltered examples of the late Queen Anne period remaining in Ventura. Queen Anne elements include a tower, gables and bay. Classical Revival can be seen in the large, sweeping, curved porch with its classical columns. The house serves as an important visual landmark for the Avenue Area.

46. Selwyn Shaw House 140 N. Ann Street

Designated January 21, 1980

Selwyn Lock Shaw, a prominent carpenter/builder who was responsible for the construction of many local Victorian style residences, as well as the Bard Hospital and Methodist Episcopal Church, built this Queen Anne style house for himself in 1888. This house is one of several on a block of primarily Victorian style houses owned and occupied by members of the Shaw family. The hillside home with a distinctive half-octagon bay window is a triple story single-family residence with an elaborate roof line.

47. Jacques Roos House 82 S. Ash Street

Designated March 17, 1980

Jacques Roos, President of the Great Eastern Company, had this house built in 1892. It is a pattern house built in the Queen Anne cottage style with significant Eastlake influences. The Eastlake elements are clear in the elaborately turned porch columns, spindle work and balustrade. The fine craftsmanship of this house can be seen in the meticulous detail, including elaborate sunburst patterns and flower designs in the shingles, bargeboard, and frieze. The windows make use of attractive flashed glass and are outlined by half columns. The Queen Anne influence is seen in the multi-gables and bays. This house is significant as the most elaborate example of Queen Anne cottage to be found in the City of Ventura. The house was originally designated as the Wilson House in 1980. The name derived from A. E. Wilson, a clerk at the Great Eastern Department Store, who lived in the house in 1910-1911. When additional information identified the owner as Jacque Roos, the designated name was changed in 1991.

48. Dacy Fazio House 557 E. Thompson Boulevard

Designated April 14, 1980

Orville A. Wadleigh, an early Ventura County rancher and City Trustee in 1918-1919, had this house built for his daughter Dacy Fazio in 1910. Dacy was married to Ben Fazio, owner and operator of the Fazio-Newby grocery store on Main Street. The house is a typical Craftsman Bungalow, but the property includes a carriage house/barn, which is significant as the only remaining example of a carriage house in the old downtown. The style and construction of the structure indicate that it may be older than the house itself. The house was restored in 1980 by Ira Goldenring for use as the Law Offices of Goldenring and Goldenring.

49. Terry House 4949 Foothill Road

Designated July 14, 1980

This two story, eight room house located at 4949 Foothill Road, now the Unitarian Church, was built in 1917 by J. Myers of Oxnard for Willington G. Wilde. The Wilde Family lived in the house until 1922 when it was purchased by Joe Terry Sr. The wood-shingled building combines several different styles of architecture, and is a good example of a ranch/farm house built for an affluent family of that period.

50. Bert Shaw House 1141 Poli Street

Designated September 15, 1980

Built in 1896 by Jesse Bert Shaw, the son of Selwyn Shaw and a carpenter/builder like his father, this one-and-a-half story Victorian, with a medium high pitched cross gable roof and plain boxed cornice, is one of several houses built and lived in by members of the Shaw family along the 1100 block of Poli Street. The main feature of this house is a modified Palladian window on the front. A flat roofed addition was added on the west in 1929.

51. Blackstock House 835 E. Main Street

Designated September 15, 1980

The Blackstock House, thought to be the work of architect Charles Russell, was the home of James Blackstock, Main Street businessman and proprietor of the Central Cash and Meat Market and the Union Ice Co. from 1916 to 1926. The house was constructed in 1901 on the site of what is now the Ventura City Hall on Poli Street (originally built as the Ventura County Courthouse), and was moved ten years later to its present site on Main Street, a prestigious address in early Ventura. The house remained in the Blackstock Family until 1944.

The Blackstock House marks a stylistic transition from the Queen Anne mode of Victorian design period which was ending at the turn of the century, to the Classical or Colonial revivals which swept the nation from about 1880 to 1950. The square tower of the Blackstock House, with its pointed peak (hipped roof), distinctly echoes the Victorian style. The Classical or Colonial details can be seen in the modillions (flat brackets under the eaves) that support the eaves, the elaborate frieze details above the second floor window, the articulation of the two stories with different classical orders and the triangular pediment above the portico.

52. Sifford House 162 S. Ash Street

Designated September 15, 1980

This home was constructed in 1895 for the Frank Sifford family. Unique characteristics include a portico columned front door, framed by a horseshoe shaped arch. The second story is accentuated by a small balcony above the front porch. Originally, the Palladian style window, to the left of the front door, contained stained glass in the arched center section. The architectural style has an element of Colonial style and flavor. The structure is currently used as a residence and studio.

53. Nellie Clover House 857 E. Main Street

Designated November 1980

This house is a fine example of a classical turn of the century cottage. The Main Street lot originally belonged to Thomas Binns who died in 1891 and left the property to Eleanor Clover, mother of Melvin Clover. Melvin married his housekeeper, Nelllie (nee’ de la Riva), and they first occupied the house in 1911. Their marriage lasted less than a year. The house was deeded to Nellie in 1913 and she retained ownership until her death in 1964. The de la Riva family has a long history in Ventura, and the Binns were related to the Sheridans, another prominent family.

The house incorporates several distinctive architectural features. A dentiled Italianate cornice surrounds the building. A hipped roof with a large shingled pedimental porch is supported by classical Corinthian columns. The shingled pediment features a Palladian style vent. The building’s features also include narrow clapboard siding, bay windows and a decorative redwood front door with sunburst design.

54. Kimball House 7891 E. Telephone Road

Designated July 1981

Eugene C. Kimball, a well-known rancher and inventor of farm machinery, built this house in 1928 for his growing family. Eugene C. Kimball was the son of Charles Newton Kimball who came to Ventura from Massachusetts in 1876 and farmed near Seaward Avenue between Main Street and Thompson Boulevard. The architect for the house was Alfred Frank Priest of Los Angeles. The house has elements of the Colonial revival style. Mission style is seen in the arches, courtyard and the red tile roof, with touches of Monterey revival style in the wood columns. The interior of the house remains much as it did when originally constructed. It is a one-story residence, with a basement, of approximately 4,600 square feet, containing four bedrooms, currently located on a little over one-and-a-half acres.

55. Dunning House 932 E. Main Street

Designated September 1981

The house is a single story California Bungalow built around 1920. It has a side facing gable roof with offset low pitched gable over-porch and heavy decorative beams across the porch. Large stucco columns with a diamond design support the porch roof. The slanted bay window on the east side of the house contains a window seat. The house is covered with clapboard siding and has a red brick chimney. Both exterior and interior retain the original California Bungalow feeling and are in excellent condition. William Arthur Dunning, a local rancher, constructed the house, which was continuously occupied by the Dunning family until 1965.

56. Granger House 1206 E. Main Street

Designated January 1982

This house is a one-and-a-half story vernacular Victorian featuring a high-pitched truncated hipped roof topped with iron cresting and intersecting gables on the south and west side. The house built in 1902 by W. H. Granger, a local grocer. His wife Effie lived in the house as late as 1917.

57. Morrison House 331 Poli Street

Designated May 18, 1982

John C. Morrison was the first owner of this property, which was built in 1880. This two-and-a-half story vernacular Victorian farmhouse features a prominent tower and a profusion of Eastlake details. The detailed porch frieze combines spindle and spool decoration with cutout stick work. The two story slanted bay window on the south side of the house is divided by decorative shingles, which also appear under the main roofline. In 1985 the house was cut horizontally when it was moved from its original location, at 1785 N. Ventura, to 320 W. Main Street to undergo restoration before being relocated to 331 Poli Street.


58. Mission Aqueduct East end of Vince Street

Designated August 2, 1982

Chumash Indians labored to construct the approximately eight foot high wall of rubble that forms the main channel of the Mission Aqueduct. Constructed between 1792 and 1850, the aqueduct system included a dam, reservoir, filtration building, lavandaria, and fountains. Starting at the convergence of San Antonio Creek and the Ventura River, the aqueduct extended approximately seven miles, winding its way along the base of the foothills toward the mission and mission gardens, watering farms along the way.

The aqueduct was heavily damaged in the great flood of 1862, but with repairs, it continued to be used into the 1870’s. Dynamite was used to blast a hole through the aqueduct during the construction of a county road. Segments of the aqueduct are still visible today, and a part of the wall exists in the basement of a house built in 1989. The City of San Buenaventura designated a portion of the aqueduct located at the east end of Vince and Lewis Streets as a historic landmark on August 2, 1982. The City designated portion is the largest and most intact stretch of surface aqueduct known to exist.

59. Blackburn House 721 E. Main Street

Designated January 9, 1984

Built in 1896 for Capt. David S. Blackburn, Union Army Ret., an early pioneer Ventura farmer, this late Queen Anne residence with Colonial Revival elements is the most elaborate home from the turn of the 20th century still remaining on Main Street. The large two-and-a-half story house has a medium pitch gabled roof with a hipped dormer window, boxed cornice, and decorative brackets under the eaves. A curved roof supported by double Corinthian columns covers the large wrap-around porch. An addition built on the west side for office space makes careful use of matching materials and detail.

60. Alessandro Lagoon Junction of Vista Del Mar

Designated December 1982 Drive and Alessandro Drive

In the later 19th and early 20th centuries the site of the Alessandro Lagoon was known as Chautaqua Flats and was a popular spot for camping and amusement enterprises. Today, it is one of the few existing fresh water refuges of the Pacific Coast flyway within Ventura County. The area is a triangular piece of land approximately 7.0 acres extending easterly from the junction of Vista Del Mar Drive and Alessandro Drive to a point of approximately 0.3 miles on Alessandro Drive which is west of the northern border fence of U.S. Highway 101. The area is presently enclosed in a seven foot high chain link fence.

61. Elwell House 143 S. Figueroa Street Designated March 7, 1985

The Elwell house was built in 1892 and belonged to William Elwell and his wife Edel Frieda Tico Elwell, descendents of important California and Yankee families.

The house has a medium pitched hip roof with an offset gable end and a bay window. Decorative brackets in sets of three are found under the eaves and the bay window has diamond panes in the upper portion. The front porch features turned columns and saw-tooth molding. An addition was made to the rear of the house for use as offices. This house is in a row of three landmark buildings, which share a rear parking lot. Landmarks #73 and #33 are all restored and used as offices. This is a good example of adaptive reuse.

62. Suyter House 1157 Poli Street

Designated April 22, 1985 Selwyn Shaw Historic District

The William Suyter house is one of three landmarks located in the Selwyn Shaw Historic District. This Queen Anne style residence was built by Selwyn Shaw, prominent Ventura carpenter/builder, in 1890-91 as a rental located on South Oak Street. The house was moved to the Shaw block from its original location at 334 S. Oak Street at the time of the ventura classic homesfront Redevelopment. Significant features of this well-preserved structure include a two-story octagonal corner tower with a pointed roof that extends from the high-pitched side-facing gable. The pediments on each side of the roof gable and beneath the front facing porch gable have an elaborate flower and tendril applied design. Other decorative details include dentils, fish scale shingles, and stained glass window and door panes on the lower floor. The landmark takes its name from 1920’s resident William Suyter, who served as a local deputy sheriff.

63. El Jardin Patio Building 451- 461 E. Main Street

Designated August 12, 1985

The El Jardin (Garden) Patio building was designed as one of the earliest outdoor malls in Southern California. The shopping court was very popular in the 1920’s, but El Jardin appears to be the only example built in Ventura. The two-story structure, with shops and offices opening onto an interior courtyard, remains basically unchanged from its original design. A large archway on Main Street leads into a well landscaped courtyard built on three levels. The wood trimmed stucco building has large multi-paned arched windows, wrought iron railing and lamps, carved wooden spools, beams, and brackets, and mission tile. Some of the tile has been replaced with brick tile. The use of low pitched tile parapets and flush tile roof lines enhance the effect of a “Spanish Village”. In the 1950’s, the arched front entrances and side windows on the street level were removed and replaced with large display windows.

El Jardin Patio was designed by the prominent Los Angeles architectural firm of Weber, Staunton and Spalding in 1925 for G. W. Chrisman and W. B. and Mary Alpin. The Alpins ran La Floresia, a flower shop on the west side of the courtyard, for many years. Their son, William Alpin, a photographer for Sunset Magazine, had his studio in the rear of the courtyard.

One of the earliest tenants of El Jardin was the Jack Rose Smart Shop, which was the first retailer in town to sell off-the-rack women’s fashion. This store occupied the Main Street location east of the archway. Jack Rose, a man who believed in downtown businesses, opened his first Ventura store in 1925 and continued to personally operate a downtown Main Street store until his death in 1955. In 1948, he built the art deco Jack Rose Building on the northwest corner of Main and Chestnut Streets to house his store.

64. Robert Brakey Residence 413 Poli Street

(La Mer Bed & Breakfast)

Designated October 14, 1985

The Brakey House was built in 1890 for Ventura’s well-known house mover, Robert E. Brakey. Mr. Brakey was a City Trustee in 1916-17 and owned a large portion of the hillside between Oak Street and present-day City Hall. His son, John R. Brakey, continued the house moving business and among his accomplishments was responsible for moving the Port Hueneme Lighthouse, which no longer exists. John also accumulated a large collection of historic photographs, which are now in the possession of the Ventura County Museum of History and Art. The Brakey family continued to live on the property through the 1930s. Although the Vernacular Victorian residence has been significantly altered over the years, it still retains characteristics of its original Eastlake influence. Today, the house serves as the La Mer Bed and Breakfast.

65. Judge Ben T. Williams House 386 Franklin Lane

Designated January 26, 1987

The Judge Ben T. Williams House was built on Ventura Avenue around 1890, possibly by Selwyn Shaw. Around 1950 it was moved to Franklin Lane. It is an example of a Queen Anne ranch house, with Stick Eastlake influence. Benjamin Tully Williams was Judge of the Superior Count of Ventura for many years during the 1890's and early 1900's. He was also one of the most powerful political figures in the County during that time.

66. Charles Corcoran House 831 Buena Vista Street

Designated April 1, 1986

The Charles B. Corcoran Houses embody the distinctive characteristics of a type and period of construction. The original house, built in the California Bungalow style in 1910, is a single story house with low pitched roofs, a porch with overhanging gables supported by elephantine columns, a cast concrete block foundation, and wood siding. This bungalow also includes a large Palladian bay window. The 1930 house is a much finer example of its style. Built in the Mediterranean, or Spanish Colonial Revival style, the architecture includes a red tile roof with low pitch, stucco walls, arched doorways throughout, wrought iron balconies and railings, and exposed rafters and beams.

67. Charles Cooper House 163 Cedar Street

October 14, 1986

Charles L. Cooper, a carpenter, purchased this property at in 1886 and built the house in the same year. One of the more noted owners was Mr. Frank White, owner from 1929 49. Mr. White was a horticulturist and developed new strains of many common flowers. The house represents a particular period of local history when Ventura was only a small community; just prior to the tremendous economic boom created by the arrival of the Southern Pacific Railroad in 1887.

68. Josiah Keene House 41 Bell Way

Designated September 28, 1987

The Josiah Keene home was built near Ventura Avenue around 1872, making it one of the first grand homes built in San Buenaventura after incorporation. Josiah Keene was a veteran of the Civil War; a former U. S. Treasury employee; and a San Buenaventura area rancher. The house, which was moved to 41 Bell Way in 1928, is perhaps the City's only example of Second Empire/Victorian Residential style.

69. Hartman House 73 N. Palm Street

Designated September 28, 1987

In 1911, the Hartman family moved into this residence. Previously, portions of the San Buenaventura Mission complex and a brewery were on the property. The house is a well preserved example of the Craftsman Bungalow style, which was prevalent in California in the first quarter of the 20th century, and contains many of the woodwork details which were part of that style. Gayle Kieran restored the house in 1988.

70. J. A. Day House 759 E. Poll Street

Designated April 25, 1988

Built in 1889 by prominent local grocer and Saticoy area rancher J.A. Day, this Victorian home features many elements of the “stick” style. The gabled walls feature ornamental “stick work” at their intersection with the roof. The steeply pitched gabled roofs feature similar decorative stick work at their apex. The clapboard siding is terminated at the corners with column-like detailed corner boards featuring base and capital-style trim. The entry imitates a tower by continuing through the second floor roof and terminating with its own gable roof. Other Victorian elements include the balusters and frieze, decorative pediments over the windows, and stained glass over the door. The J.A. Day home reinforces the historical feeling of the nearby Selwyn Shaw Historic District.


71. Ventura Insurance Bldg 692 E. Main Street

(Rosarito ventura classic homes Restaurant)

Designated April 25, 1988

Built in 1937 for the Ventura County Mutual Fire Insurance Company, this structure was created by noted Los Angeles Architect William W. Ache. Its Art Deco or Moderne style with Aztec Revival flower elements is unique to San Buenaventura. This style attempts to unite arts with industry using machine-age materials and techniques. In this representation, poured concrete is the link material. The building is highlighted by a low hip roof with barrel tile, two sash windows with transom, and the classic lines of poured concrete. Today the site serves as home to the Rosarito ventura classic homes Cafe, known for fine Mexican dinning.

72. Erburu House 2465 Hall Canyon Road

Designated January 5, 1989

Mariano Erburu built his California craftsman bungalow in 1909 as a residence for his family. This two story bungalow is distinctive in its size with approximately 4,000 square feet of floor space. The side-gabled house features a large gable dormer in the front and a shed dormer along the back. Exterior elements include a “knee-brace” supported first floor roof along the back, clapboard siding and cantilevered “outriggers” supporting the gabled overhangs. The casement and double hung windows are framed with wide and angled jamb casing. The interior has stained wood paneling, coffered ceiling and built-in cabinetry. The first house built in the area, the residence was a focal point for those traveling to Ventura through Hall Canyon. A Basque immigrant, Mr. Erburu was a prominent Ventura businessman and at one time had up to 300 head of sheep grazing in Hall Canyon. In the late 1890’s he was a partner in a mercantile business with J. Feraud. The exterior and interior have been authentically restored by Robert and Pauline Chainese.

73. Mc Coskey Love House 119 S. Figueroa Street

(Parrish restored to office building)

Designated July 17, 1989

Ada McCoskey Love was the widow of prominent Ventura physician, J. H. Love. Dr. Love moved to Ventura in 1891 and was a major figure in the community until his death in 1906. Ada’s house, built in 1903, uniquely combines elements of the Italianate period with later Victorian influences. The two-story, wood clapboard house has large pediments over the front porch and front second story windows, with applied decoration in the front door pediment. The second story has wide eaves with decorative supports.

This house was originally located at the corner of Chestnut and Santa Clara and moved once before being placed, along with the Elwell House (Landmark #61), at the current location next to the Peirano Residence (Landmark #33). All three houses were restored by attorney Donald J. Parrish for adaptive reuse as offices.

74. Kate Duval House 953 E. Main Street

Designated July 17, 1989

Built in 1902, this charming Queen Anne Cottage features a large front slanted bay window with a shingled pediment, sunburst brackets, and decorative blocks. The front porch was enclosed at a later date. The property was owned by Kate Duval, wife of Eugene W. Duval who owned a hardware store on Main Street. The Duval Family lived in the house next door at 943 E. Main Street and used this house as a rental. The house is significant as one of several houses built along Main Street between 1902 and 1905 that has maintained its character and integrity over the years.

75. J. Hoover Love House 970 E. Santa Clara Street

Designated July 17, 1989

This house was built in 1923 by Louis Rudolph and sold to J. Hoover Love, Deputy County Tax Collector and son of the prominent Ventura physician Dr. J. H. Love. It is unique in it’s blending of a Mediterranean exterior with an American Arts and Crafts Movement interior. The Mediterranean influence is seen in the parapet roof and symmetrical stucco facade. Craftsman features include a carved wood door with four narrow panes flanked by narrow multi paned windows. French doors with wrought iron railings are found on each side of the main entrance with raised quatrefoils.

76. Mabel Nellie Owen House 93 W. Simpson

Designated January 22, 1990 Simpson Tract

This Mediterranean style house was the home of Mabel Nellie Owen who was an activist and voice for the Avenue Community for over fifty years. Projects with which she was involved include relocation of the Taylor Ranch feed lots, opposing a proposal to construct a sewer treatment plant next to Sheridan Way School, building of Westpark and Avenue Adult Centers, initiation of a senior mini bus, and construction of the Church of God in Christ church.

77. Dr. Cephus Bard House 52 W. Mission

Designated April 1, 1991

Dr. Cephus L. Bard, a Civil War veteran, followed his brother Senator Thomas Bard to Ventura in 1868. He was the town’s first American doctor and became very popular. He was a contributor to medical journals, an inventor, and a collector of Indian artifacts, sometimes accepting them in lieu of payment for his services. His collection forms the basis of the Ventura County Historical Museum collection. In 1902, Cephus and Thomas opened the Elizabeth Bard Hospital as a memorial to their mother. Dr. Bard was the first patient to die in the Bard Hospital later that year.

This house was constructed for Dr. Bard in 1886. It was originally located on Oak Street, where Dr. Bard had another residence. The house was moved to its current location in 1951. The house is one of the few Italianate structures remaining in the city and has maintained its elaborate Italianate details through the years. Noted characteristics include a slanted bay window with a mansard roof and decorative brackets and panels, an offset front gable with boxed eaves and cornice that returns with heavily carved brackets, and shiplap siding. The entry porch had been enclosed at one time in the past but has since been restored as an open porch with thin columns and decorative top brackets.

78. Carlo Hahn House 211 E. Santa Clara Street

Designated July 15, 1991

This two-story residence was built between 1912 and 1914 for Carlo Hahn, an agent for the Bordalino Hat Co. and a partner of Giovanni Ferro. Mr. Ferro, Hahn's brother in-¬law, lived next door in the elaborate Italianate villa once owned by the Schiappapietra family. The Hahn House was built to complement the adjacent mansion. It exhibits several characteristics of early Victorian styles although built well after the period ended. The house was remodeled as a restaurant in 1971. The house is listed as a contributing member of the Mission National Historic District.

79. Hammonds/Reese House 637- 639 Poli Street

Designated September 14, 1992

This well designed house constructed in 1905 is an example of Queen Anne architecture with Colonial Revival elements. Among its outstanding features are a wrap around porch with Corinthian columns and a pediment over the entry with an articulated end medallion, both slanted and rounded bay windows, diamond patterned window glazing, two tall decorative brick chimneys, an irregular gabled roof line, projecting eave brackets, shingle clad gables and second story walls, narrow horizontal clapboard siding and a vertical board clad base skirt wrapping the front and left sides of the house. The hillside lot is elevated above the street behind a Sespe stone retaining wall.

The architect and builder are unknown, but the first owners of the house were Harry and Dora Hammonds. Mr. Hammonds owned an insurance company in Ventura for over forty years. The second owner purchased the home in 1912. He was David J. Reese, the Ventura postmaster and editor and proprietor of the Ventura Daily Free Press and the Ventura Weekly Free Press.

The house occupies a prominent location on the Ventura hillside surrounded by other designated landmarks. The Judge Ewing Residence, Landmark # 14, is located to the west. The Bard Hospital, Landmark # 19, is located to the east, and the site of the Theodosia Burr Shepherd Gardens, Landmark # 34, is located across the street.

80. Pierpont Inn 550 San Jon Road

Designated February 1, 1993

In 1910 wealthy Ojai socialite Mrs. Pierpont-Ginn chose architect Sumner P. Hunt to build this Craftsman bungalow-style Inn for motoring tourists and for her son, Austen Pierpont to manage. Austen later became an architect and added guestrooms and English Tudor Cottages. Since 1928, two branches of the Vickers Family have owned the Inn. The Gleichmanns operated and expanded the property for seven decades. In 1999, the Pierpont Racquet Club owners, the Garretts, purchased The Pierpont and restored the property with architectural and historical integrity. In 2003, The Pierpont was accepted into the Historic Hotels of America by the National Trust for Historic Preservation.

The Pierpont Inn has hosted many celebrities and notables over the years, including Presidents George H. and George W. Bush.

81. A. D. Briggs House 856 E. Thompson Boulevard

(Christopher Place)

Designated May 10, 1993

The house was built for Arthur D. Briggs in 1894. It is an unusually fine and well maintained example of the Queen Anne style, and stands with the house next door at 844 Thompson as an example of the many homes that were located in this neighborhood at the turn of the century.

82. Tudor House 301 S. Dunning Street

Designated October 12, 1993

This home was built in 1929 for William S. Smith. The house, part of the Chrisman Tract, is a classic example of English Tudor Revival architecture popular in the early part of the Twentieth Century. Architectural elements include a high steep gable roof punctuated by three (3) gabled dormer windows, stucco walls with brick as decorative trim, multi-paned windows, and a shingle roof resembling thatching. The house has a brick driveway with accents of brick and wood planters that complete the landscaping. The home continues as a single-family residence.

83. Arcade Building 38 50 W. Main Street

Designated March 21, 1994

The area around Ventura Avenue east and west on Main Street was the beginning of the auto sales industry in the City of Ventura during the mid to late 1920’s. Auto dealers at 38 50 W. Main Street included Dodge, Chrysler, Edsel and Jaguar as well as vintage car operations. The present owner is Robert Addison. Roy Weatherly of Weatherly Motors was a long time owner.

84. Cassidy Dairy Ranch 3908 Loma Vista Road

Designated May 16, 1994

Noted builder Selwyn Shaw built this six-bedroom Colonial Revival house in 1894 on 7½ acres as a country residence for Richard & Amelia Cassidy. He farmed oranges, grain and lima beans. In 1911 walnut trees were planted and in the mid 1920's Cassidy started a dairy, "Cassidy Dairy Ranch", which was discontinued in 1935 upon the death of Richard Cassidy. Fred Cassidy built a barn in 1899 on the same spot where Glen Cassidy, grandson of Richard, built his small house in 1952.

85. San Buenaventura Mission Lavanderia 204 - 208 E. Main Street

Designated November 14, 1994 Under Store Room


The archaeological remains of this Mission era lavanderia were discovered under the rear storage rooms of the Peirano Market and Wilson Studio buildings in 1991 when the buildings were to be rehabilitated. Many post mission era artifacts including bottles, porcelain, stoneware, and abalone shells were found in the crawl space under the floor of the storage areas. A segment of mortared Mission floor tile was also found in the crawl space.

Mission San Buenaventura was built in 1782, and the lavanderia was probably built between 1792 and 1815 in conjunction with the Mission aqueduct, which carried water from the confluence of San Antonio Creek and the Ventura River. The water ran from the aqueduct to the fountain and into the central tank and eventually emptied into the Mission gardens to the west. Lavanderias were constructed at many missions and had many similarities; however, local building materials were used in the construction of each lavanderia and resulted in distinguishing elements and features.

Lavanderias were important to the missions in California as the population of the surrounding area grew. Lavanderias were usually built close to the missions and provided a place to wash the clothes of the Indians and Padres. They also served as a social gathering place for the women of the missions.

86. Erle Stanley Gardner Office 21 S. California Street,

Designated February 6, 1995 Room 306

In the eyes of the world, Erle Stanley Gardner is possibly Ventura’s most famous and prolific resident. Gardner wrote 155 books and over 400 articles, and was once ranked by Guinness World Records as one of the world’s best selling authors. The author of 82 Perry Mason mystery novels moved to Oxnard from his native Massachusetts in 1911. He practiced law after passing the bar without a law degree. Gardner moved to Ventura in 1915 when he joined the prestigious firm of attorney H. Frank Orr. His office was located in the northeast corner of the First National Bank Building (Landmark #36). His custom wood desk was so massive it would not fit in the elevator and had to be brought in through the 3rd story window. He was a workaholic and would dictate his novels into an Edison wax drum recorder so his secretaries could type his manuscripts from these recordings. The first Perry Mason novel, “The Case of the Velvet Claws,” included many Ventura references. He resided in Ventura until 1934. The specific office Gardner occupied does not retain any of Gardner’s personal objects.

87. Casa de Anza 606 612 N. Ventura Avenue

Designated March 23, 1998 11 - 15 E. Simpson Street

This prominent apartment building was built in 1929 by Richard Langdon along with Austin A. Chute Development Co. as a direct response to the booming oil business and the need to house oil field workers in the Ventura Avenue area of the city. The three story building accommodated 14 residential apartments on the second and third floors and four commercial areas on the first floor. Among the first businesses to occupy the building were a dress shop, an upholstery shop, a beauty shop, and a refrigeration service.

Built in the Spanish Colonial Revival style of the 1920s, the red brick structure features a hipped roof tower, quoins in contrasting buff colored brick at the corners, deeply recessed wood casement windows, wood or steel mullioned store windows, wood and glass doors and tile bulkheads. As a result of efforts by the Westside Community Council, the Casa de Anza apartment building has been restored and once again houses apartments and the Avenue branch of the public library.

88. WWII Gun Emplacements Near Ventura River Mouth

Designated September 1998

In early 1942 Camp Seaside was constructed along the Pacific coast just north of the mouth of the Ventura River to protect the Channel Islands area. The Camp Seaside artillery site was comprised of two gun emplacements, barracks, and ammunition bunkers. This location was fortified in response to the attack by a Japanese submarine at the Ellwood oilfield on February 23, 1942. Following that attack there was concern that the oil installations further up the Ventura River were at risk. The two large guns were called “Long Toms” and could fire up to a distance of 14 miles. The guns were never fired and were removed in 1944.

Ten artillery sites were installed in coastal Southern California during World War II. Today it is estimated that remnants remain of only three, including Ventura’s Battery 2. The remnants of this site consist of two 38 foot diameter concrete circles topped with steel rails that allowed the guns to swivel in all directions.

89. Norton Ranch House 71 N. Palm Street

Designated October 1998

This large two-story Craftsman style house was built in 1910 by Mr. Norton for his home in the 40 acre walnut grove located off of Bristol Road in east Ventura. During the twentieth century many prominent families, Cheney, Callens, Vanoni, Ramelli and De Silva, were connected to the house. In 1989 the house was moved to downtown Ventura when the property on which it sat was purchased for development. Moved to its current location in 1993, the house was eventually rehabilitated for use as a restaurant. The exterior has been faithfully restored including a distinctive second story porch that runs the full length of the front and a porte-cochere.

90. John C. Fremont Camp 100 Block E. Main Street

Designated January 11, 1999 Point of Interest

John C. Fremont led an expedition of troops, horses and supplies from Monterey to San Buenaventura during late 1846 and early 1847, during the War with Mexico. The trip south was arduous and, in the afternoon of January 5, 1847, Fremont and his remaining expedition entered San Buenaventura and camped overnight in the orchard west of the San Buenaventura Mission Garden wall. On the rise above the Mission, a small band of Californians was seen and Fremont and his troops fired on them. The Californians scattered and Fremont's men guarded the top of the hill all night. During that night, Fremont captured Don Jose Arnaz, a local merchant, and threatened his life until Arnaz gave Fremont military information and supplies. Arnaz was released. Land that Arnaz had purchased from the Mission in 1846 was taken from him by the United States government, which did not recognize his title to the land. The land was later returned to him by the U.S. Courts. In 1850, Arnaz sold the land to Dr. Manual R. de Poli, a Spanish physician.

91. China Alley Historic Area 200 Block E. Main Street

In the early 1880’s, a flourishing Chinese settlement made up of merchants, laborers, and families settled in an area along Figueroa Street between Main and Santa Clara Streets. The largest concentration of activity was in an area known as China Alley, which ran perpendicular to Figueroa Street. The Chinese immigrants built housing, grew and sold food, and provided a place of worship for the immigrants. Artisans, vegetable gardeners and fishermen plied their trade. Merchants exported marine products and imported Chinese goods. Other contributions of the Chinese immigrants to the community included a water flume above the San Buenaventura Aqueduct along Ventura Avenue and the Chinese Fire Brigade that served China Alley and the surrounding neighborhood. The Chinese Brigade was often the first fire company at the site of a fire and was instrumental in saving many structures in the downtown area.

During the early days of immigration, the people of San Buenaventura welcomed their new Chinese neighbors as an inexpensive source of labor. However, with the incorporation of strict national immigration laws in the early 20th century, a hostile environment forced the residents of China Alley to relocate to other areas.

92. Louis Rudolph Craftsman Bungalow 958 E. Santa Clara Street

Designated March 2002

This single-story Craftsman Bungalow was built by local contractor Louis Rudolph in 1922 and lived in by his family until 1925, when he sold the lot to Amos Lovoorn, Manger of J. C. Penny Company. Mr. Rudolph built the house next door and also built the Elk’s Hall on Main Street and Ash.

The house is a well-designed bungalow with a basement. The low-pitched hipped gable roof has exposed rafters under the broad eaves. Two large square stuccoed columns support the hipped gable roof and cross beam. A half brick design is featured on both the columns and fireplace. The house has narrow clapboard on the upper portion and shingles on the lower portion.


93. Petit Tudor 1725 Miramar Drive

Designated October 2002

The house was built in 1929 by Charles W. Petit, the mayor of Ventura for many years. There have been three other owners of this house since it was built. The house was designed by John C. Austin, F.A.I.A. and Frederic M. Ashley, A.I.A., architects with offices located in the Chamber of Commerce building in Los Angeles, and is a good example of English Tudor architecture in Ventura. The English Tudor style refers to the Tudor period in England in the first half of the 16th Century. This period included the reign of Henry VII, Henry VIII, Edward VI, and Mary. The Tudor style was used for domestic vs. ecclesiastical architecture.

The house is a two story single-family residence. The footprint is mostly rectangular with some irregularities. The roof is very high pitched. The exterior is stucco with many details in brick and wood. Most of the windows on the first floor are casement windows. These windows are equipped with metal roller screens. There are many leaded windows throughout the house. There is a bay window in the library with a copper roof. On the second floor, most windows are casement or double hung, but on an old sleeping porch there are "pocket windows." These windows have a windowsill that opens and the windows drop into a pocket below. The front door has white oak veneer and has a window with a wrought iron grate. The entire entry is framed in decorative brick. In 1996 the house was remodeled and some alterations were made. The kitchen and breakfast area windows were changed and a fireplace was added in the breakfast area. An outdoor patio with fireplace was also added. These added features are in keeping with the architecture of the home.

94. Rancho Attilio Site South of Telephone Road Between Designated March 27, 2006 Saticoy Avenue and Wells Road


Rancho Attilio was established in 1916 when Attilio Vanoni purchased approximately 117 acres near Saticoy from the Pacific Improvement Company for the raising of dry row crops, walnuts, lemons, oranges and avocados. The site was once part of Sa’aqtik’oy, a Chumash village, and is significant for its association with the development of the Saticoy area and the Vanoni family, which has farmed continuously in the region to the present for over a century.

Attilio Vanoni was a native of San Pietro in the Italian Alps who immigrated with his parents in 1895, settling in Ventura County, where they farmed in the Camarillo and Saticoy area. The 1940 edition of the History of Ventura County describes Mr. Vanoni as “one of the most successful ranchers in Ventura County and a man highly esteemed.”

The ranch has been reduced from its original size to 67.7 acres, extending east of Saticoy Avenue to the Brown Barranca and south of Telephone Road to the Southern Pacific rail line. Most of the older buildings were demolished to accommodate a residential development and Veterans Home. A 2.7-acre parcel fronting on Telephone Road is the site of the original Vanoni homestead.

The property was designated a “Point of Interest” because the original ranch no longer exists but is associated with a significant aspect of our county’s history due to its contribution to farming and the development of the area, and the history of the Vanoni family.

95. Mayfair Theater Site 793 East Santa Clara Street

Designated March 27, 2006

Designed by internationally recognized Los Angles architect S. Charles Lee, this 1941 Art Moderne movie palace featured rounded corners and a majestic curving, neon lit marquee supported by a circular, mushroom shaped ticket booth. The thin cantilevered roof above the entrance featured large round “porthole” openings. A spectacular dorsal fin-like sign rose from the roofline announcing the entrance, almost doubling the height of the building.

During its lifetime, the Mayfair was occasionally used for live performances. During the 1970’s and 1980’s it was part of the “Pussycat Theater” adult movie chain. In the early 1990’s it served as a performance “Coffee House” and dance club. A fire in 2000 destroyed the interior and much of the exterior details. The last of Ventura’s Art Moderne buildings, the Mayfair was demolished in 2004 to build residential condominiums.

96. Coast Live Oak Tree Southwest Corner of Thompson

Designated March 27, 2006 Boulevard and South Palm Street


This mature Quercus agrifolia (Coast Live Oak), located at the southwest corner of San Miguel Chapel site, Historic Landmark No. 16, is the largest species of its kind within the City of Ventura. Based on the trunk diameter at breast height (dbh) of 52 inches, this species is estimated to be 160 to 200 years old. The location of the tree is unusual since the species is typically found in island foothills and valleys. The estimated age of the tree and its atypical location indicate it may have taken root prior to or during the period when the Chapel site was being used by the Chumash.

97. Arnold Residence 92 North Fir Street

Designated March 27, 2006

I

Built in 1907, this house is a very nice example of a Colonial Revival residence. Colonial Revival details include Doric porch columns, curved brackets under the boxed eaves, and hipped dormer windows. A slight flare at the edge adds interest to the combination hip and gable roof.

Construction on the house was begun by Matthew H. Arnold, a pioneer who came to California from the Midwest in 1859. Mr. Arnold was a prominent rancher in Ventura County and served as a school board trustee and County Supervisor. He died in 1906 before the completion of the house, but it was occupied by his widow, Eliza Arnold. The house was later owned by J. D. Morrill, a Superior Court Judge, whose family owned Morrill Bros. Grocery in Montalvo.

98. Rudolph Residence 86 Encinal Place

Designated October 15, 2007

CC Reso 2007-061

This 4000 square foot single-family residence constructed in the Spaninsh Revival architectural style. Designed and constructed by Lewis Rudolph in 1927, an active builder in Ventura in the early 1900’s who designed Ventura’s first movie theater and the Elk’s Lodge, the structure appears to retain most of the original exterior. Significant changes to the property since 1927 include a swimming pool and out building, and interior remodel of bathroomand kitchens. The property was featured on the Ventura Architecture Weekend tour in 2004.

The home was once occupied by the Larrabee family, whose son Michael was a 1952 Ventura High School graduate who won two Olympic gold medals for swimming in the 1964 Olympics.


99. Elks Ventura Lodge No. 1430 11 S. Ash St.

Designated May 5, 2008

CC Reso 2008-019

At the soutwest corner of East Main Street and South Ash Street, contains the now–vacant Elks Lodge #1430. The structure constructed in 1928 in the Spanish Colonial Revival architectural style, was occupied by the Elks Fraternal Organization from 1928 to 2004.

In the early 1920’s, Ventura experienced a termendous era of prosperty with the discovery of the oil fields in the Avenue area. Over the years, the fraternal organizations contributed tomany local charities including the Boys Scouts and Little League organizations, and served as a social network of community connectivity.

Original building plans indicate the building’s character-defining features have not been significantly altered over time,and the building façade retains most of its original integrity. In the late 1950’s fire escapes were added on the west façade, the entry doors were replaced, the red tile roof was removed and the existing porte cochere canopy was added. A couple of the smaller windows were replaced with aluminum-framed windows. Interior alterations were numerous, but much of the original interior remains intact.


100. Avenue Water Treatment Facility 5895 N. Ventura Ave.

Designated February 5, 2008

CC Reso 2008-005

Ventura Avenue Water Treatment Facility Adminstrative Building located at 5895 North Ventura Avenue was constructed in 1938, it represents 125 years of continuous water development history in the City of Ventura, and the three-story administration building reflects and industrial waterworks build with a Spaninsh Colonical Revival design that retains much of its original integrity.

101. Harry S. Valentine House 993 E. Santa Clara St.

Designated March 10, 2008

CC Reso 2008.010


Harry S. Valentine House, originally constructed in 1915 by Mr. Valentine. Mr. Valentine was an early lima bean farmer and landowner who built the house and whose family occupied the residence for 45 years. Valentine Road, extending parallel to Highway 101 from Telephone Road to easterly to Victoria Road, was named in honor of Mr. Valentine.

The two story house exhibits a Craftsman venacular with an Oriental influence, and is considered the last of its kind in Ventura. The character defining features of this style include a low-pitched gabled roof with wide, unenclosed eave overhangs and false beams, covered porches supported by square columns extending to ground level, exposed rafter tail, and transomed window. The Oriental infulence is seen in the stylized peaks of the roof gables. Although tapered porch columns are typically found in ths style, square columns are considered a variant of this style.

102. Old Town Main Street Investments, LLC 315-321 E. Main Street

Designated September 21,2009

CC Reso 2009.057

The “McGuire Building/Pythian Castle” was built in 1906-1907 during the “City Expansion and Civic Improvement (1906-1920)” period of significance. This era incorporates the “City Beautiful Movement,” that embodied the 1890s through the early 1900s. This movement emphasized urban beautification and monumental architecture as a means to promote moral and civic virtues. As commercial development expanded east of the Mission during the early 1900s, Main Street became a primary commercial corridor laced with monumental buildings with ornamental architectural detail. The McGuire Building reflects this era, with an intact decorative brick face with a recessed X and O pattern and friezes below the roofline and extending above the parapet. The structure maintains much of its historic integrity and is considered to be one of the few remaining intact examples of early decorative brick along Main Street’s commercial corridor during the “City Expansion and Civic Improvement Period of 1906-1920.”

William McGuire, the initial owner of the “McGuire Building/Pythian Castle,” is an example of an individual who made a meaningful contribution to the development of the local community. Beginning in 1900, William McGuire was the Vice President of the People’s Lumber Company. In 1903 he co-founded the Ventura Manufacturing & Implement Company, which supplied farm equipment to local communities. In 1906 he was the City Trustee during the construction of his building, and he later became head of the County Highway Commission. The second floor of the McGuire Building/Pythian Castle also served as a lodge hall for local fraternal organizations. William McGuire’s active involvement in the community, local, government, business, and fraternal organization are significant contributions to Ventura’s local history.

103. Strickland Residence 1660 Poli Street

Designated September 21,2009

CC Reso 2009.058

The residence located at 1660 Poli Street is association with the Oil boom era beginning in 1929. Florence Brigham and her husband, Charles Francis (Frank) Brigham were considered pioneers after Frank Brigham inherited his father’s business, the F.P. Brigham Implement Company. Florence Brigham was a member of a social society and held the position of president of the Ventura County Federation of Women’s Clubs. The Brigham family had three children. The oldest son, Alfred Brigham, established a merchant business, the Brigham and Beaman firm with his brother-in-law, Selwyn Beaman.

The Brigham and Beaman firm was established on Main Street for nearly 50 years and was involved in the community and with contributors, advertisers, and sponsors of Ventura High School. Property records indicate that Frank and Florence Brigham resided at the subject property from 1925 until 1929. The Brighams then exchanged homes with their daughter and son-in-law, Helen and Selwyn Beaman in 1929, and they occupied the house until1934. Helen Brigham was the Society Editor of the Ventura County Star in the late 1920s and early 1930s. Her role in this association represents a vital role for the aspirations of women during this period.

104. Lucking Residence 230 S. Ash Street

Designated July 19 ,2010

CC Reso 2010

The residence located at .HISTORIC DISTRICTS

Mission Historic District Boundaries: Santa Clara Street

Ventura Avenue

Poli Street

Palm Street

Mitchell Block Historic District Boundaries: Plaza Park/Houses

on Thompson Boulevard

608, 620, 632, 644,

658, 670, 682 and

692

608 E. Thompson


620 E. Thompson

632 E. Thompson

670 E. Thompson

682 E. Thompson

692 E. Thompson

Selwyn Shaw Historic District Boundaries: Buena Vista Street

Ann Street

Hemlock Street

Poli Street

Simpson Tract Historic District Boundaries: Sheridan Way

Ventura Avenue

W. Prospect

W. Simpson Street

 

Learn more at