Ventura Landmark Homes

Ventura Landmark Property

Conklin Residence 608 E. Thompson Boulevard

Built 1877, Designated May 6, 1974, Mitchell Block

Conklin Residence 608 E. Thompson

Located at 608 E. Thompson Boulevard , the home was originally built in 1877 by Dr. Solomon Leander Stuart, a dentist, whose office was located on California Street between Main and Santa Clara Streets. He is thought to have been a descendent of the artist Gilbert Stuart. The home was then deeded in 1887 to E. L. Mitchel, proprietor of a brick business and builder of two of the homes within the Mitchell Block. Marguerite Conklin, granddaughter of Marada Waton and owner of the property in 1918, lived her entire life within this restored Cape Cod style home amidst her family heirlooms. It is folklore that her mantle clock, silent on the day of her passing in 1977, would never be operable again. The exterior was changed to it's present Cape Cod appearance in 1927.

Neighboring Homes - Mitchell Block Historic District Boundaries: Plaza Park/Houses

632 E. Thompson

Ventura Historical Homes 632 E. Thompson

620 E. Thompson

Ventura Historical Home 620 E. Thompson

670 E. Thompson

Ventura Historical Home 670 E. Thompson

682 E. Thompson

Ventura Historical Home 682 E. Thompson

692 E. Thompson

Ventura Historical Home 692 E. Thompson