Ventura Landmark Homes

Ventura Landmark Property

Blackburn House 721 E. Main Street

Built 1896, Designated January 9, 1984

Blackburn House

Built in 1896 for Capt. David S. Blackburn, Union Army Ret., an early pioneer Ventura farmer, this late Queen Anne residence with Colonial Revival elements is the most elaborate home from the turn of the 20th century still remaining on Main Street .  The large two-and-a-half story house has a medium pitch gabled roof with a hipped dormer window, boxed cornice, and decorative brackets under the eaves.  A curved roof supported by double Corinthian columns covers the large wrap-around porch.  An addition built on the west side for office space makes careful use of matching materials and detail.