Ventura Landmark Homes

Ventura Landmark Homes

Suyter House 1157 Poli Street

Built 1889, Designated April 22,1985 Selwyn Shaw Historic District

Suyter House

The William Suyter house is one of three landmarks located in the Selwyn Shaw Historic District.  This Queen Anne style residence was built by Selwyn Shaw, prominent Ventura carpenter/builder, in 1890-91 as a rental located on South Oak Street .  The house was moved to the Shaw block from its original location at 334 S. Oak Street at the time of the ventura classic homesfront Redevelopment.  Significant features of this well-preserved structure include a two-story octagonal corner tower with a pointed roof that extends from the high-pitched side-facing gable.  The pediments on each side of the roof gable and beneath the front facing porch gable have an elaborate flower and tendril applied design.  Other decorative details include dentils, fish scale shingles, and stained glass window and door panes on the lower floor.  The landmark takes its name from 1920’s resident William Suyter, who served as a local deputy sheriff.

Suyter House 02

----

Older image