Ventura Landmark Homes

Ventura Landmark Homes

Hammonds/Reese House; 637- 639 Poli Street

Built 1905, Designated September 14, 1992

Hammonds/Reese House  637- 639 Poli Street

This well designed house constructed in 1905 is an example of Queen Anne architecture with Colonial Revival elements.  Among its outstanding features are a wrap around porch with Corinthian columns and a pediment over the entry with an articulated end medallion, both slanted and rounded bay windows, diamond patterned window glazing, two tall decorative brick chimneys, an irregular gabled roof line, projecting eave brackets, shingle clad gables and second story walls, narrow horizontal clapboard siding and a vertical board clad base skirt wrapping the front and left sides of the house.  The hillside lot is elevated above the street behind a Sespe stone retaining wall.

The architect and builder are unknown, but the first owners of the house were Harry and Dora Hammonds.  Mr. Hammonds owned an insurance company in Ventura for over forty years.  The second owner purchased the home in 1912.  He was David J. Reese, the Ventura postmaster and editor and proprietor of the Ventura Daily Free Press and the Ventura Weekly Free Press.

The house occupies a prominent location on the Ventura hillside surrounded by other designated landmarks.  The Judge Ewing Residence, Landmark # 14, is located to the west.  The Bard Hospital , Landmark # 19, is located to the east, and the site of the Theodosia Burr Shepherd Gardens , Landmark # 34, is located across the street.