Ventura Landmark Homes

Ventura Landmark Homes

Harry S. Valentine House
993 E. anta Clara St.

Built 1915, Designated March 10, 2008

Harry S. Valentine House

Harry S. Valentine House, originally constructed in 1915 by Mr. Valentine. Mr. Valentine was an early lima bean farmer and landowner who built the house and whose family occupied the residence for 45 years. Valentine Road , extending parallel to Highway 101 from Telephone Road to easterly to Victoria Road , was named in honor of Mr. Valentine.

The two story house exhibits a Craftsman venacular with an Oriental influence, and is considered the last of its kind in Ventura . The character defining features of this style include a low-pitched gabled roof with wide, unenclosed eave overhangs and false beams, covered porches supported by square columns extending to ground level, exposed rafter tail, and transomed window. The Oriental infulence is seen in the stylized peaks of the roof gables. Although tapered porch columns are typically found in ths style, square columns are considered a variant of this style.